Blazing Swan - 2019 - Happy as Larry
Blazing Swan - 2019 - Happy as Larry
***Event Date For the internationals are noon from Wednesday 17th April until noon Tuesday 23rd April 2018 (West Oz Time)***
Blazing Swan is an annual experiment in temporary community dedicated to self-expression and self-reliance.
Blazing Swan is an official Australian Burning Man event
Blazing Swan website
Blazing Swan is an experiment in temporary community. Relationships are created, neighbors meet one another, and our collective survival is challenged. This is not a spectator event. It is difficult for you to take a role in the community if you are in Jilikin Rock City for less than 24 hours. In order to experience the true essence of Blazing Swan, you will want to become part of the community. Therefore, there are no day passes sold, and no discounts given based on your length of stay. Of course, it is not necessary that you come for the entire week. You are welcome to arrive early in the week and stay for just a portion of the event.
What should I bring?
A. Thank you for asking the million-dollar question. Blazing Swan is an exercise in self-sufficiency. You have to bring all you need to survive, and then some. Some people bring only the basics; others bring everything including the kitchen sink.
Water, food and shelter are imperative
After you have taken care of your survival, everything else is up to you.
If you are fond of sleep, earplugs are a participant’s best friend.
A bicycle (with a bike light) is vital for enjoying our vast landscape, and a puncture repair kit may be required as we have at the moment some large double gees (big bloody prickles that can harm your tyres)
For maximum enjoyment of the event, bring toys or costumes with which you can express your creative spirit.
Blazing Swan is a commerce-free event.
You need to bring ALL supplies, food, water and tools you will need for survival in a harsh environment. No food or sundry items are sold anywhere in Jilikan Rock City.
If you forget something vital, your best bet is to make friends with your neighbors.
If you really need something, you can head into Kulin a short 15-20 minute drive from site. Be warned: they have a minimal selection of goods for purchase compared to the city!
Driving on site:
You may drive to your camping spot, but do not plan to use your vehicle as transportaion on site for the duration of your stay. This is a serious safety issue and will be strictly enforced. No driving will be allowed without a Blazing Swan DMT (Department of Mutant Transport) permit.
What is a Theme Camp?
It’s an interactive camp designed by the camp members with the intention of engaging participants. More information can be found in the Theme Camp section on the website http://dev.blazingswan.com.au/participate/theme-camps/. Theme camps are located throughout Jilikin Rock City. Assigned placement comes after approved advanced registration. Though registration is not at all required, only registered theme camps will be cited on the city map. Those who register early get choice spots and placement on the map. For registration deadlines, see the above link. Please see below for information about sound.
Q. What about amplified music at Blazing Swan?
A. Amplified music is a favored method of participation and self-expression at Blazing Swan, and one that influences a large number of people.
We are asking that amplified music in camps be kept at a reasonable level.
Large scale sound art/systems MUST register for placement.
This year, large scale sound systems are restricted to those camps located in allocated areas at Blazing Swan (more detail to follow)
Sound systems should be no bigger than 300 watts for non large scale Sound Camps.
Sound levels produced by any electronic system or device should not exceed 90 decibels outside of a camp or village.
Sound levels emitted from any camp should not cause serious disruption to adjacent camps.
Placement Theme Camps and Art:
This year, we will continue to endeavor to place all registered theme camps, who will then be mapped and assigned a space prior to arrival on the site. The same goes for art installations on the paddock and on the open playa (Lake). Therefore, it is best to register your theme camp or art installation early.
Q. I have some handmade crafts that I'd like to sell in order to cover my travel costs. Where can I set this up?
A. Blazing Swan flourishes through sharing, trading and the giving of the gift of yourself. We have found the buying and selling of goods is a distraction to connecting and creating relationships. Selling is a transaction-based activity. There is NO VENDING at Blazing Swan. Participants who are found vending /selling will be asked to leave.
Q: Where is the rave this year?
A: Blazing Swan is not a rave. While our ranks include many individuals from the electronic music community, they are not the majority. Blazing Swan is an experiment in temporary community, and one that is all-inclusive. Yes, this includes ravers.
Q: Can I reserve a campsite?
A: No. While there are marked roadways, there are no “camping sites,” other than the spaces previously allotted for pre-placed theme camps and art installations. Those awarded placement have applied in advance. Come early if you need space to add friends.
Terms and Conditions of Sale
This ticket is sold subject to Blazing Swan Incorporated – ABN 80 937300352 (Blazing Swan, Us, We) and any third party vendor’s ‘Terms and Conditions’ of sale which are available for review at the time of purchase. The Terms and Conditions of sale, entry and participants’ presence at the Blazing Swan Event (the “Event”) include the following terms as well as all current Blazing Swan policies including but not limited to:
By purchasing a ticket, including using the ticket transfer process, or attending the “Event” you agree to abide by these Terms and all Blazing Swan policies and recognise that all state and federal laws apply.
Tickets and Refunds
1. Every participant in attendance at the “Event” is required to hold a valid ticket.
2. A change in personal circumstances of the Ticket Holder does not entitle the return or the exchange of the ticket.
3. Tickets will not be refunded under any circumstances, including but not limited to, the possible non-appearance of any particular group expected by the Ticket Holder, a change to the advertised venue of the “Event”, or any adverse weather conditions.
4. Blazing Swan is not liable for acts of God, the weather, strikes, protests, or actions taken by government agencies and similar causes. You understand that tickets are non-refundable even if the “Event” is terminated early or cancelled, or entry conditions are modified, due to harsh weather, acts of nature, governmental regulation, the failure to obtain relevant permits, or conditions beyond Blazing Swan’s control.
5. Notwithstanding the above, Blazing Swan has contingencies in place to endeavour to provide a refund to ticket holders in the “Event” of cancellation, subject to a successful claim against Blazing Swan Incorporated’s Cancellation Insurance. If a refund is able to be made to ticket holders in the “Event” of a cancellation, the timing of such a refund will be after all necessary processes have been followed, which may take several months. Blazing Swan makes no guarantee on the timing of any refund.
6. By purchasing a ticket to the “Event”, you agree and acknowledge that you can afford to purchase that ticket and such a purchase will not cause a financial hardship to you or your family, whether the “Event” proceeds or not.
7. Ticket holders may be asked to show photo identification along with their ticket upon entry to the “Event”. The name on the ticket must match the photo ID of the person attending the “Event”.
8. General Entry tickets may not be resold above face value. If a ticket is resold then ownership must be transferred to the purchaser using the ticket transfer system provided by our ticketing vendor. Once the transfer is complete the original ticket will not be valid for entry to the “Event”. Blazing Swan reserves the right to cancel any ticket which has been sold above face value.
9. On arrival at the “Event”, ticket holders will be given a wristband which must be secured on the body for the duration of the “Event”. If your wristband becomes damaged or unwearable, a replacement wristband will be issued from Event HQ upon presentation of the existing wristband and ticket. A person at the “Event” without a secured wristband will be presumed not to hold a valid ticket and may be asked to leave.
10. Lost, stolen or damaged tickets will not be replaced.
11. Tickets are revocable licenses that may be revoked by Blazing Swan for any reason including, without limitation, resale for above face value, purchasing more than stated limits, assisting others with unauthorised or un-ticketed entry to the “Event” , breach of these Terms and Conditions, or conduct deemed by Blazing Swan to be unacceptable which includes but is not limited to conduct likely to threaten or cause harm to any other individual or disrupt the safe or compliant operation of the “Event”.
12. Blazing Swan reserves the right to add, withdraw or substitute any elements of the program or vary the advertised Event ticket prices or patron capacity at any time.
Access to areas
13. Tickets only provide access to areas which are indicated by signage at the “Event”.
14. CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN AT ALL TIMES.
15. CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18 REMAIN THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIAN AT ALL TIMES.
16. Participants must observe Blazing Swan’s arrival and departure times from the site. General Admission will be no earlier than midday on the Wednesday immediately prior to the Western Australia Easter Weekend and must be vacated by midday on the Tuesday immediately preceding the Western Australia Easter Weekend. Check online closer to the “Event” date for any updates or changes to these times.
17. Participants must follow the direction of all appointed Blazing Swan Event staff at all times.
18. Community standards of behaviour are expected and persons deemed to be behaving in a manner that is dangerous or unacceptable by the “Event” Manager may be refused admission and/or removed from the site.
19. Participants must remain within the “Event” site during the “Event”. Artworks and performances may only occur within the “Event” site. Participants shall not cause any persisting disturbance or modification to soil, land or vegetation outside the “Event” site boundaries. Leaving the “Event” site will cause participants to no longer be covered by Blazing Swan’s Public Liability Insurance.
20. Participants must not swim, bathe in or enter any dams, creeks or waterways in or in the vicinity of the “Event” site.
21. The following items are prohibited on the Event site without prior approval and pre-event registration by Blazing Swan: firearms, weapons, pyrotechnics, unregistered lasers, unregistered drones, unapproved vehicles, dogs or pets (assistance animals excepted).
Carers and Assistance Animals
22. Participants at the “Event” who require the assistance of an approved carer (being a person who provides personal care, support and assistance to another individual who needs it because that other individual is a person with disability, who holds a WA Companion Card or equivalent) or a registered assistance animal may be accompanied by their bona fide carer or assistance animal as required.
23. Every person at the “Event” is required to hold a valid ticket and comply with all terms and conditions and policies, whether they are a volunteer, carer or otherwise. If you require the assistance of an approved carer in order to attend the “Event”, please contact [email protected] to make enquiries about carer tickets.
24. Because pets are not permitted, if you require your assistance animal with you in order to attend Blazing Swan, we require that you pre-register your assistance animal by sending an email to [email protected] in order for us to plan with you for your arrival and notify Gate staff of your attendance with an assistance animal.
25. We warn all participants that the “Event” venue often presents unforgiving physical environments for humans and animals alike. Inclement weather, fire, loud noises, crowds and flashing lights are all common, and if any of these would be too uncomfortable or pose a risk for either you or your service animal we ask that you carefully consider these factors as you decide whether to participate, with or without your assistance animal.
26. If you bring an assistance animal to the “Event”, you are required to ensure:
a. the animal does not pose a risk or threat to any other person or assistance animals at the “Event” ;
b. the health and safety of that animal at all times;
c. the animal is in your control, or the control of a person known to you, at all times, which generally requires that the animal be on a leash or harness or in an appropriate enclosure.
Acceptance of risk and waiver of liability
27. Purchase of ticket and/or entrance to the “Event” indicates acceptance of the following warning and waiver of liability: The property you will enter (i.e. Event venue) is a place where recreational services and activities are provided, where you are further warned and advised that the “Event” and/or the land it is staged on is an inherently dangerous place that may contain all manner of obstacles, risks and dangers, both known and unknown, natural and man-made which may result in loss or damage to your property, personal injury or even death. Knowing this to be the case you voluntarily assume the risk of serious injury or death if you choose to come onto the property and do so at your own risk, waiving and foregoing any rights to make claims for losses and injuries.
28. YOU KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL RISK OF PROPERTY LOSS, PERSONAL INJURY, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH, WHICH MAY OCCUR BY ATTENDING AND PARTICIPATING IN THE “EVENT” AND HEREBY FOREVER RELEASE, DISCHARGE AND HOLD HARMLESS BLAZING SWAN INCORPORATED, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, VOLUNTEERS, AGENTS AND ASSIGNEES FROM ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM SUCH RISK, EVEN IF ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF BLAZING SWAN INCORPORATED, OR BY THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION.
29. You understand that during the “Event” , art installations, theme camps, vehicles (including but not limited to ‘mutant vehicles’ and ‘art cars’), events and performances will be held and/or on display and you understand that most of these activities are not owned or operated by Blazing Swan Incorporated, and YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS OF INJURY OR DEATH ARISING FROM THEIR OPERATION AND FROM PARTICIPATION IN ANY OF THESE ACTIVITIES, AND THE RELEASE IN PARAGRAPH 28 APPLIES TO ANY INJURY YOU MIGHT SUSTAIN RELATING TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN ANY OF THESE ACTIVITIES.
30. You understand that some participants at the “Event” may engage in expressive activity and dress, which may include partial nudity or nudity and other types of expressive activity. You agree that such expressive activity and dress is not indecent nor offensive to you, and that you have decided to attend the “Event” with full knowledge that such expressive activity and dress may occur. If you are accompanied by minors at the “Event”, you acknowledge that you have made a choice that the minors may be exposed to the expressive activities and dress that take place at the “Event”, and that you have exercised parental responsibility and control in bringing the minors to the “Event”. Should you find that any activity at the “Event” is offensive to you, or to any minors accompanying you, then you acknowledge that you can avoid such activity by, among other things, leaving the vicinity of the activity or leaving the “Event”.
31. You understand and acknowledge that people are using film, video, and photographic cameras at the “Event”, and that your image may be captured on film, video, or photographs that may subsequently be displayed or disseminated without your consent or payment of compensation to you, and you release Blazing Swan Incorporated from any liability due to such capturing, display, or dissemination.
32. Participants are expected to comply with applicable local, state and commonwealth laws, the Blazing Swan Principles and Blazing Swan Event policies, and to conduct themselves in a manner that does not threaten the health and safety of other participants, or cause damage to the “Event” venue, or damage/relocate the “Event” artworks or any other participants property.
33. If your conduct is deemed by the “Event” Manager to be unacceptable or dangerous and you are refused access or asked to leave the “Event”, then you must leave the site immediately.
34. The laws of Western Australia and Australia apply at all times, and Police have access to the site at their own discretion. The Police may be called by Blazing Swan Event staff if it is deemed necessary to deal with any participant whose conduct is unacceptable or dangerous.
35. Blazing Swan Incorporated reserves the right to take whatever measures it considers reasonable and necessary to protect its interests and the safety of participants at the “Event”.
36. Reading the Survival Guide is mandatory for all first time attendees, and we recommend previous participants familiarise themselves with the current Survival Guide prior to attending the “Event” .
37. I understand that these Terms and Conditions may be changed by Blazing Swan prior to the “Event”, and if so, the revised Terms and Conditions will apply to me. The most current version can be found right here . My use of a ticket or other entry credential for entry to the “Event” signifies my binding agreement to the Terms and Conditions in effect at the time of my entry to Blazing Swan.